Tuesday, June 14, 2011

PET this


I had my first PET scan today. I've had a CAT scan, and MRI (for my back) and now this. Working the alphabet. Positron Emission Tomography. I get there early. It's 108 degrees outside. They actually call me in early. Torri or Tori, is very nice. I get radioactive sugar injected into my arm while I'm bundled and warm and left to sit for about 20 minutes. No talking or moving because the sugars tend to settle in the muscles too much if they've been used. Could produce a false indication of something wrong. Then I get the scan. It's nothing bad, I just have a bad back and laying down on flat surface for about 40 minutes was rough. The injection itself was normal. I didn't feel the meds going in or anything, which is always a plus.

I have this thing about needles. I didn't realize why until I broke my arm in junior high. The doctor wanted to give me a shot in the leg to get the pain meds in quicker and I freaked out. As soon as he said he'd do it in my arm, I calmed down. Later my mom told me that when I was an infant, a clumsy nurse, probably used to just giving shots to soldiers, gave me a shot in my leg and I squirmed and the needle broke off in my leg. I was too young to remember, of course, but it has to be why needles bother me so much.

Anyway, wasn't bad. I should get the results tomorrow when I see Dr. Woo again, I think to have my mask made. Basically a plastic mold so my head is in the same place every time.

No comments: