Friday, September 27, 2013

Info dump

Applied for a grant from Modest Needs Grant. I have 10 days to upload the needed documents. Hopefully they'll be helping me pay my rent next month and I don't have to beg my family and friends again.

Almost ate it today. The knees just buckled and I'd have hit the floor hard if not for the sofa. Not sure if it was just a fluke thing or a bad sign.

...

Saturday, Sept 28

Picked up my thyroid prescription. The drive over was rough. My arms are definitely getting weaker, legs too. The short trip felt like I'd worked out for an hour. I tired out a couple of canes at Walgreens. They aren't any help really, since my arms are weaker than my legs, if I needed them for support, they'd just fail.

Found online:

LIVING WITH MYOPATHY

Myopathies are chronic (long-term) diseases. To help control your illness, it is important to practice good health measures. Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet, exercise and try to keep a healthy weight.
If you have a dermatomyositis rash, protect yourself from the sun. This is because the rash gets worse after sun exposure, for reasons that are not clear. Therefore, limit time outdoors, and put on sunscreen when you go outside.
If you have trouble swallowing, eat soft or semisolid foods, or puree your solid foods. To prevent choking if you are bedbound, you should be seated up in bed to eat.
People with myopathy may look healthy and normal. It is important for employers, teachers and family members to understand the limits that muscle weakness causes in people with myopathy.

....







Supplements that may do more harm than good

Spirulina (S. platensis) and blue-green algae (Aphanizomenon flos-aquae) At least two patients with DM had a flare or onset of their disease after taking these

Echinacea (purple coneflower) - Has produced flares of lupus, including kidneyrelated complications

Alfalfa - Has caused lupus-like symptoms in animals
Sprouts and tablets have been linked to lupus in 
humans

No comments: