Saturday, December 02, 2006

Maureen Gallace

Maureen Gallace at the Art Institute of Chicago

When I was in Chicago with my fiance, of course I had to see the Art Institute of Chicago. They had an amazing collection of works, from Van Gogh, Gaughin and Monet to Hassam and Cassat. I'm a complete sucker for the Impressionists. They had a beautiful painting by Gustave Caillebotte as well: Paris Street; Rainy Day, 1877

One of the contemporary artists that they were exhibiting was Maureen Gallace. Her simple, almost bleak landscapes really caught my imagination. Not usually the kind of thing I go for, but her pieces spoke to me. Her paintings are almost always dominated by these minimalistic structures, usually houses. Mostly devoid of windows or doors, they are simplified almost to the point of abstraction, but in all honesty, it's the landscapes around them that usually catch my attention. Something about the shorthand way she has of representing the snow and grasses.

No comments: